Thursday, August 27, 2009

Easy Peasy Ground Cherry Jam

Back in March I showed you how to start the seeds for ground cherries.
Photobucket
Well the ground cherries are starting to ripen and fall off the bush. When they hit the ground you pick them up and use them. How simple is that? Easy Peasy!
So today I made Easy Peasy Ground Cherry Jam.
Start out with 3 cups Ground Cherries taken out of their paper husks. Wash them well and put in a pot with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup water and 1 box powdered pectin.
Photobucket
Bring to a boil and when ground cherries start to burst, mash them good.
After they are mashed and boiling add 3 cups of sugar all at once. Return to a boil and boil according to pectin package directions, usually 1-3 minutes.
Photobucket
Put in sterilized jars. Process in a boiling water bath for 5-10 minutes or USDA recommended time for your altitude.
This recipe will make 3 medium jars or 6 small jars of jam.
 
Photobucket

EASY PEASY!

7 comments:

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I've never heard of ground cherries before! Where do you get them? If I could find some, I'dtry the recipe. Looks good!V.

sherrieg said...

Thanks so much for posting this! We have lots of ground cherries from our CSA basket, and this is exactly what I'm going to make with them. :)

Laura Calandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Calandra said...

I made two changes.

1) Way too much sugar. I made it twice. Once with 1 cup and once with 1/2 cup brown; and both of them were really good. I don't think you need that much sugar.

2) No pectin. Ground Cherries are actually high in naturally concurring pectin.

This plant makes so many of these you can make at least 3 batches of this recipe from one plant.

Pymatuning Gardener said...

Please, use UDSA approved processing methods for home canning of jams and jellies in your recipes. After putting jam in a sterilized jar, process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes at 0 to 1,000 feet elevation, 10 minutes at 1,001 to 6,000 feet and 15 minutes above 6,000 feet. The "open kettle" method used in your recipe has not been an approved method for decades.

Ev said...

I'm a novice. How long to I cool these outside the fridge? What is the shelf life? I think I messed up... I did the 5 min. water bath after the lids popped but they were still popped when they came out of the bath. I'm not sure how that translates.

Tania Reyes-Cairo Hansen said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I love ground cherry jam and I'm on this first round with my four plants! It tastes like apricot-pineapple jam to me. A great recipe for my daughter who is allergic to apples, pears and all of the pitted fruits.